Tuesday, March 3, 2009

First vocational day

G'day to my mates back home! Yesterday we all went separate ways to take part in our vocational tours/learning. Speaking for myself, it was a great day! (the other team members had a great day as well, but I'll let them post individually of course) I spent the day at the Horizon Foundation - they have many services there for individuals with a disability as well as for the families that support them. It was great to learn how a non-profit organization works here - Horizon in particular has so many great staff who are so passionate about what they do! I learned about the different programs as well as where the funding comes from. In talking with Evan Monroe, a manager there, it struck me as to how similar the social services fields are in our two countries - of course there are differences, but being able to talk about common current issues in the field was great. There was a lot of information to take in, but it was all very clear, so it was a great day - a special thanks for the Tim Tams (a delicious Aussie cookie, covered in chocolate), which we had at 'morning tea'!
Another big thanks to the RC Cleveland for their hospitality at their club meeting last night. It was our first time presenting at a club here, and we were received well. What fun they have at their meetings - there was a real sense of comraderie which was nice - the presentation on "aluminium" cans was great too!
OK, I'll sign off now - need to finish my cappuccino and then off to go sailing in the Bay!

3 comments:

MarkAFarlow said...

Glad you all enjoyed your first GSE presentation. Many more of those to come and soon you'll be professionals at it! Post more pictures when you can. Send a Tim Tam home!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl:
I had Tim Tam's in Indonesia. They are awesome !!!!!!!!!! I hope you're able to put your camera course to use. Glad your work experience was positive !!!!!
Keep having fun.
:-) Kim.
P.S. We heard Katy on the radio. Cool !!!!!!!!!!!

Jacobson said...

I warned you about TimTams! You will be hooked now!